Thursday, February 11, 2010

Sideways from 12 feet!

This week has been crazy and to say the least I haven't been able to spend time with Jayden as I had planned. I've turned him out, fed him lunchto keep him busy and had to satisfy myself with simply a passing nod and pet to him as I went about my outside chores. Yesterday he was somewhat grumpy with me when I approached the stall and I admit, I deserve it. I haven't been able to participate in our horsemanship journey this week the way I would like to.

Just before going outside to see Jayden I had a rather emotional phone call to a company who is designing a logo for me. I'm an affiliate for them and I send them lots of business. Finally today I called in complete frustration as I realized they had AGAIN ignored my instructions to them on the current project. I took a deep breath before going outside and I realized that moving through the groundwork exercises and games with Jayden was going to feel really good. I work really hard to keep it fresh and interesting; to have a consistent pattern in what I do just a variance in how I do it.

Maybe it was how I looked at him or the energy from my belly button but Jayden's expression was totally different when he saw me. He seemed to be melting towards me in a "hey, I'm ready to play today!" kind of way. His ears were forward, his eyes bright. Our friendly game in the stall consisted of me taking off his blanket and hood and then currying every inch of him. He LOVES it!

He shoved his head in the halter and off we went toward the arena. We backed in, then turned sideways (me in zone 3) and sideways we went. I then turned him again and he backed up in a continuous rhythm. Linda wanted us to get this game really good and I struggled a bit with my tools the last time I tried. We were also very sticky and couldn't go very fast. Today Jayden through in A LOT of effort and it came together nicely. After sideways to back to sideways a few more times I ended up in front of zone 1 about 12 feet away. I had just started thinking "I wonder if he'll go sideways (with no help from me) when I'm up here and not holding the rope" when I moved sideways and motioned with the carrot stick for him to move and SIDEWAYS HE WENT for about 20 feet!

I felt like jumping up and down. Although it's a small movement, it's respect and rapport from a distance and boy did that feel great. :)

No comments: